Ask the expert


Biopsy and reflux meds


For what reason would a biopsy be done by a gastroenterologist? I have read about Losec but it is not available in my country. Can you tell me the pharmaceutical make up of it and to what group it belongs?

Answer of our experts

The biopsy can look for allergy, reflux or infection, and the procedure to obtain the biopsy, an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) can document any physical changes associated with gastroesophageal reflux.

The drug Prilosec belongs to the class of drug proton pump inhibitorsthere are several on the market now. Being on a proton pump blocker can mask Helicobacter infection because it lowers the amount of bacteria. It can also make inflammation look better.

Prilosec is omeprazole

Prevacid is Lansoprazole

CP/ TK 7-13-10

Answer is checked and valid for


Gastrointestinal Problems

Every new born suspected or proven to have CdLS should be carefully evaluated for signs and symptoms consistent with gastrointestinal malformations.



Consider always gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) in any individual with CdLS owing to its frequency and wide variability in presentation, which includes challenging behaviour.
Modification of nutrition and proton pump inhibitors (PPI) are the first-line treatments of GORD. Anti-reflux medications need to be used to their maximum dosage. Surgical interventions for GORD should be limited to those individuals with CdLS in whom nutritional and medical treatments have been unsuccessful or airway safety is at risk.
If GORD symptoms persist, endoscopy should be strongly considered whilst an individual with CdLS is still in paediatric care.
Surveillance for Barrett’s Oesophagus needs to be discussed with and decided together with the family, balancing the potential gain in health and burden for the individual with CdLS.

Legal Disclaimer

Please take note that the Ask the Expert service is comprised of volunteer professionals in various areas of focus. Answers are not considered a medical, behavioral, or educational consultation. Ask the Expert is not a substitute for the care and attention your child’s personal physician, psychologist, educational consultant, or social worker can deliver.

Do you have a question you would like to ask?

Ask a Question

Do You urgently need help? Contact the CdLS Foundation USA, Our Staff!