Ask the expert


Kidney reflux (Hydronephrosis)


My three-year-old daughter just got out of the hospital with a kidney infection. The doctors said that the ultrasound showed that her bladder was refluxing urine into the kidneys, thus the infection. Her kidneys are enlarged also. I am wondering if this is common in CdLS?

Answer of our experts

Kidney abnormalities can be seen with CdLS in 20-40% of the time. Most likely the enlarged kidneys are due to the reflux and not an inherent kidney abnormality. I would assume that your daughter had a vesiculourethrogram (VCUG) as well. Usually with the kidney reflux, there is risk for urinary tract infections. A renal scan should be done to assess the function of the kidneys. If the degree of reflux is significant, you should see a pediatric urologist to discuss the severity and plan. Sometimes the children need to be on preventative antibiotics so as not to get urinary tract infections. It can, by the way, run in families. If you have other children they should be evaluated with renal ultrasound and VCUG most likely. VCUG is a dye study of what is going on inside: they inject dye into the urethra and watch it using fluoroscopy. They can watch the dye going into the bladder and then up from the bladder towards the kidney. A renal scan is also a dye study, but it demonstrates actual function of the kidneys. Overall, most children do well and may outgrow it

TK 7-13-10

Answer is checked and valid for
Find other pages that share the same topic as this page Gastrointestinal Problems14 Gastrointestinal Problems3 Gastrointestinal Problems12


Gastrointestinal Problems

Every new born suspected or proven to have CdLS should be carefully evaluated for signs and symptoms consistent with gastrointestinal malformations.

Legal Disclaimer

Please take note that the Ask the Expert service is comprised of volunteer professionals in various areas of focus. Answers are not considered a medical, behavioral, or educational consultation. Ask the Expert is not a substitute for the care and attention your child’s personal physician, psychologist, educational consultant, or social worker can deliver.

Do you have a question you would like to ask?

Ask a Question

Do You urgently need help? Contact the CdLS Foundation USA, Our Staff!