Pergunte ao perito


Weight gain and CdLS


Do individuals with CdLS gain weight in a regular basis?

Resposta dos nossos peritos

It is very difficult for children with CdLS to gain weight quickly. Obviously, minimizing gastroesophageal reflux will help. They really gain weight at their own pace. Maximizing calories can be tried (but I do not think it always helps) through the help of a nutritionist. At the infancy stage it can be done through high-calorie formula. Probably, only with time will the weight add up. Some families will feed at night to get more calories in, but again I don't think overall it helps too much.

TK 7-13-10

A resposta é verificada e válida para
Encontrar outras páginas que partilhem o mesmo tópico que esta página Growth in Childhood5 Growth in Childhood15 Reflux9 Reflux3 Reflux38


Growth in Childhood

The growth of every child with CdLS should be monitored by using CdLS-specific growth charts.



Consider always gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) in any individual with CdLS owing to its frequency and wide variability in presentation, which includes challenging behaviour.
Modification of nutrition and proton pump inhibitors (PPI) are the first-line treatments of GORD. Anti-reflux medications need to be used to their maximum dosage. Surgical interventions for GORD should be limited to those individuals with CdLS in whom nutritional and medical treatments have been unsuccessful or airway safety is at risk.
If GORD symptoms persist, endoscopy should be strongly considered whilst an individual with CdLS is still in paediatric care.
Surveillance for Barrett’s Oesophagus needs to be discussed with and decided together with the family, balancing the potential gain in health and burden for the individual with CdLS.

Relatação legal

Por favor note que o Pergunte ao perito service/ é composto por profissionais voluntários em várias áreas de foco. As respostas não são consideradas uma consulta médica, comportamental, ou educacional. Perguntar ao Perito não substitui os cuidados e atenção que o médico pessoal, psicólogo, consultor educacional, ou assistente social do seu filho pode prestar.

Tem uma pergunta que gostaria de fazer?

Faça uma pergunta

Precisa de ajuda com urgência? Contacte o Linha Raríssimas - Linha Rara!