Ask the expert


Life Span of Nissen Fundoplication


It has been recommended that because my child with CdLS had reflux surgery at least 10 years ago follow-up should be done to ensure that the wrap is not coming loose. When I went to the specialist his feeling was that if she is not vomiting then a test is not warranted. Is there written information available that says different?

Answer of our experts

If the child isn't vomiting and there is no evidence of other complications such as esophagitis or lung disease, I would not look to see if the Nissen is intact because there would be no reason to do anything about the result. A Nissen fundoplication should only be “checked” if there is a problem

The life of a Nissen is influenced by many things, such as the amount of vomiting and gagging, and luck. Nissens can last as short as a few weeks and much longer than 10 years

CP/ TK 7-13-10

Answer is checked and valid for
Find other pages that share the same topic as this page Reflux9 Reflux3 Reflux38



Consider always gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) in any individual with CdLS owing to its frequency and wide variability in presentation, which includes challenging behaviour.
Modification of nutrition and proton pump inhibitors (PPI) are the first-line treatments of GORD. Anti-reflux medications need to be used to their maximum dosage. Surgical interventions for GORD should be limited to those individuals with CdLS in whom nutritional and medical treatments have been unsuccessful or airway safety is at risk.
If GORD symptoms persist, endoscopy should be strongly considered whilst an individual with CdLS is still in paediatric care.
Surveillance for Barrett’s Oesophagus needs to be discussed with and decided together with the family, balancing the potential gain in health and burden for the individual with CdLS.

Legal Disclaimer

Please take note that the Ask the Expert service is comprised of volunteer professionals in various areas of focus. Answers are not considered a medical, behavioral, or educational consultation. Ask the Expert is not a substitute for the care and attention your child’s personal physician, psychologist, educational consultant, or social worker can deliver.

Do you have a question you would like to ask?

Ask a Question

Do You urgently need help? Contact the CdLS Foundation USA, Our Staff!