Ask the expert


Urinary Tract Infections


My 27-year-old son is having chronic urinary tract infections (UTIs) these past 10 months. He is also having serious GI problems and nutritional problems because of the antibiotics to treat the infections. He has had an ultra-sound of the renal and bladder, which was normal. His prostate has been checked; they are pea-sized. He took Macrodantin for 90 days and still had UTIs. What else should we do?

Answer of our experts

He would need to have a voiding cystourethrogram, if he hasn't already, and may need to have a renal scan to check for any chronic kidney changes. He also should be checked for sexually transmitted diseases (cultures). Also, ideally, he should see a pediatric urologist. An infectious disease expert can help with medications for infections and the side effects.

TK 7-13-10

Answer is checked and valid for
Find other pages that share the same topic as this page Paediatric Medical Care5 Paediatric Medical Care1 Paediatric Medical Care37

Legal Disclaimer

Please take note that the Ask the Expert service is comprised of volunteer professionals in various areas of focus. Answers are not considered a medical, behavioral, or educational consultation. Ask the Expert is not a substitute for the care and attention your child’s personal physician, psychologist, educational consultant, or social worker can deliver.

Do you have a question you would like to ask?

Ask a Question

Do You urgently need help? Contact the CdLS Foundation USA, Our Staff!